Audio.TST June 2007 USB connectivity and native Windows Vista support for 2700 & ATS
Created 02 Jun 2007
Notes from the Test Bench
By Bruce Hofer, Chairman & Co-Founder, Audio Precision
As the headline implies, we're happy to announce that USB connectivity and native Vista support are coming to the 2700 Series and ATS-2.
We added USB because more and more laptops don't have expansion slots for our APIB interface card, and we want to make sure you can use your 2700 or ATS-2 well into the future. There are other improvements to the software that you can read about below.
Starting September 1
, all new instruments will ship with USB, or you can buy a USB adapter for an instrument you already have. You'll be able to download the new AP2700 v3.30 and ATS v1.60 control software in August. We're telling you now so you can get your order in for a USB-ready instrument or USB adapter kit. We're also inviting users to participate in a beta program for the new software. More on that below too.
With these updates, I'm confident the 2722 will continue its leadership position as the industry standard in audio test.
Thank you as always for your support.
-- Bruce Hofer
Output: Tech tips and new applications from AP
AP adds USB connectivity and native Windows Vista support to 2700 Series and ATS-2 audio analyzers.
The new USB-APIB adapter accepts an APIB connector on one side and a standard USB cable on the other, allowing any 2700 or ATS-2 to be controlled by any USB 2.0-capable computer.
The USB interface will be available September 1
and will ship standard with all new 2700 Series and ATS-2 audio analyzers. Customers can also purchase the USB adapter separately in an upgrade kit (Part number USB-APIB-KIT; list price $650). The USB adapter requires AP2700 v3.30 or ATS v1.60 or later Control Software, so only instruments that can run that software (ATS-2, 2700 Series or System Two Cascade or newer) can be upgraded. AP2700 v3.30 and ATS v1.60 control software will be available for download August 15
. If you want an earlier preview, you're invited to participate in the Beta program.
What's New in v3.30 and v1.60
Download the What's New PDF
- USB interface support Supports the new USB-APIB adapter, which allows any 2700 Series or ATS-2 instrument to be controlled using a USB 2.0 interface. The adapter supports all current APIB accessories including switchers, the DCX-127 and the PSIA.
- Full compatibility with Windows Vista Runs under Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Earlier versions of Windows are not supported.
- Can be run by user accounts without administrator privileges Previous versions of AP2700/ATS software required the user accounts that ran it to have administrator privileges. This situation was incompatible with the IT Department policies of some of our customers. The latest release has been revised so that the software can be run with “user” or “limited user” privileges on their Microsoft Windows computer systems.
- Full multi-user support, with per-user preferences and settings In previous releases of the software, all data files were stored in a common folder for all users of the software. The latest release fully supports Windows user accounts. This allows each user to store software preferences and data files.
- Integrated .wav file import/export The ability to import and export the arbitrary waveform buffer, acquisition buffer, and transform buffer to or from linear .wav files has been integrated into the application, and several bugs have been fixed with this function.
- Refreshed software installation routine with improved device driver support The software installer has been revised and will now install the APIB interface device drivers regardless of whether the interface card is installed before or after the software is installed.
- Updated icons The look and feel of the software has been updated to match the Windows XP and Vista graphical environment.
2700 v3.30 / ATS v1.60 Beta Program
AP invites you to participate in the Beta test program for AP2700 v3.30 and ATS v1.60. We're looking for users who are familiar with AP software, especially anyone who is currently using Windows Vista. Note: the new software does not support Windows 2000.
Participating will help AP make sure the software works as expected on both XP and Vista and will give you a chance to review the new features before the official release.
Plus you can be the first on your block to see the new Vista-style icons!
To participate, just email email@example.com with the subject: BETA
- We will update your AP.com account so you can access the beta download and bug report pages.
- We will email you with all the links, QuickStart etc. when your account is ready.
IMPORTANT NOTICES ABOUT THE BETA PROGRAM
- While AP believes beta candidates are stable, we cannot accept responsibility for any damage or bad data. We recommend any critical tests are duplicated with the current official release to ensure accuracy.
- Updates for Sample Tests, Add-Ins, and Technotes have not yet been released; the currently available versions may not work with this beta release.
- Test files created with Beta applications may not be compatible with the final release version.
back to top >
Test Results: AP News & Events
IBC Amsterdam -- September 7-11
Booth: 8.410 Visit the show website123rd AES Convention New York -- October 5-8
Visit the show websiteTokyo AES Convention -- July 17-20
Bruce Hofer will be attending.
Visit the show websiteTechnical University of Denmark -- August 22
Bruce Hofer will be a guest lecturer as part of a course on switch-mode audio power amplifiers. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
back to top >
Return to Knowledge Base home